Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Which camera's are crystal-synced? Have a crystal

  1. #1
    rollemfilm
    Guest rollemfilm's Avatar

    Post

    look at these pages for camera types for crystal: http://members.aol.com/fmgp and www.super8sound.com i have shot a lot of super8 without a sync camera. it's best to have it but you can do much without. i have used Canon cameras, the 514XL-S and the very loud 814E for wild sync. they seem to hold sync for about 60 sec-90sec average. i've also had many carts stay in sync for 2 min. this with an un-modified pro-walkman. since walkmans are quartz locked at the factory, having the recorder upgraded is even better. use short takes and experiment, that's all you can do. otherwise, invest in the crystal.

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Vespasian
    Guest Vespasian's Avatar

    Post

    So your the guy that bought that recorder, how much did it go off for? You don't even need a cmaera with crystal sync. They are insanly expensive anyway. All you need is The Film Groups Digital to Pilotone converter $300, and a camera with a PC flash sync socket that can run at 24fps. You can buy one of these on ebay anywhere from $25-$300. Good luck man that is an awsome recorder you got.

    ------------------

  3. #3
    LoHiFi
    Guest LoHiFi's Avatar

    Post

    Yep, I'm the one. Haven't received it yet to test it though. I was originally purchased in 1994. Surprised that it went for $160. This was the pro walkman, not it's big brother with the built-in xlr inputs and speaker.

    Will the crystal sync on the audio recorder (if it works) be necessary with a camera set up as you describe?

    LoHiFi

  4. #4
    Vespasian
    Guest Vespasian's Avatar

    Post

    160!!!!!!!!!! Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!! I can't believe that I missed because I had to work. You're lucky man! That fu$#in thing goes for 700+ new!!!!! You bastard!! Okay, okay I'm calm. I'm just in fat sound delima right now! Sorry about that. No it dosen't need shite all you need is the digital to pilotone and a camera that has a flash contact, and that it can run at 24fps, make sure it can run at 24fps though, because OF COURSE The Film Group only makes crystal anything that can run at 24fps.

    ------------------

  5. #5
    LoHiFi
    Guest LoHiFi's Avatar

    Post

    >No it dosen't need shite all you need is the digital to pilotone and a camera that has a flash contact, and that it can run at 24fps, make sure it can run at 24fps though, because OF COURSE The Film Group only makes crystal anything that can run at 24fps.

    So the audio recorder doesn't actually need crystal sync, or does it? I understand that the CAMERA doesn't, just the digital to pilotone (whatever that is...very new to super 8...unstarted even) and the flash contact.

    Thanks,
    Michael


  6. #6
    LoHiFi
    Guest LoHiFi's Avatar

    Post

    Are there cameras available that are already crystal synced?

    Bought a pro walkman with the sync it was no extra for me on ebay.

    Is crystal sync necessary?

    Thanks,
    Michael

  7. #7
    Konton
    Guest Konton's Avatar

    Post

    Good deal for $160. Not that you need it. But that's a nice price. Well what the question comes down to is what you plan to do with it. There are some upsides and down sides.

    This recorder has three functions really that are useful. It is of course crystal synced, generates and records its own 60Hz pilotone signal for later resolving, and has an excellent servo mechanism for slaving it to other devices. This device I'm talking about is usually the micro resolved that The Film Group sells.

    Actually I'm kind of curious how you plan to use it. It can't be used to keep in sync with the flash contact unless you have a Pilotone to Digital Converter as someone else mentioned. However does the recorder even have an external piltone socket to accept the Pilotone to Digital Converter? And even if it does, I don't think it has an internal resolver, just crystal sync. That's why they sell the micro resolver in the first place.

    Well anyway I think I got you back to your main question which is "Are there cameras available that are already crystal synced?"

    ------------------
    Konton the Grey

  8. #8
    Vespasian
    Guest Vespasian's Avatar

    Post

    LOFI trust me, and if you don't trust me go to Yahoo and type in the film group and see for yourself, and you do need this, this recorder is awsome. The Film Group is awsome! There is a diagram on there website, you know what FU$% it here is the link:
    http://users.aol.com/fmgp/sync11.htm

    and here is the link for the recorder you bought:
    http://users.aol.com/fmgp/sync2.htm

    So look at those, and realize, if you end up not wanting the recorder I'll probably buy it from you. I think I found what I was looking for though. A Phillips N2234AV modified by Cresta, and Cresta's Sim Sync controller. The person I am buying it from can't tell me wether or not it works at 18fps, but it's cheap so oh the fu$% well. I might just have to buy a camera that runs at 24fps.

    PLUR

    ------------------

  9. #9
    rollemfilm
    Guest rollemfilm's Avatar

    Post

    the recorder is already to shoot. you don't need the digital to pilotone converter. you need a crystal sync'd camera. you may need the resolver unit, but maybe not. are you going to edit at home? if you plan to use an edit suite, they may have a resolver. or you may be able to out source your audio and have it dubbed to the correct media be it digital or mag.

    ------------------

  10. #10
    LoHiFi
    Guest LoHiFi's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks for all the replies. I wanted the walkman primarily for recording my own music when out and about. Getting one with sync was an extra plus.

    Have always wanted to do some super 8. I now have a friend who is into shooting with DV (convenience), and maybe I can get him excited about super 8. The end product would be a music video or interview.

    I'm no stranger to the technical world, but the world of audio and super 8 -- well, it's a bit confusing.

    Excited about getting a camera sometime. Probably willing to spend up to $350 or so.

    LoHiFi

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •